Last year was the first year I did a recap of my favorite travel memories so I thought I would continue with that tradition this year. I feel so blessed that I have been able to see so much of the world. My husband and I don't really buy each other Christmas gifts. We always prefer to save that money and use it to have experiences rather than things. These are my favorite experiences of 2013.
1. Virtually no crowds greeted us in Iceland
Thoughts from Places video.
2. The Blue Lagoon
3. ALA and the Newbery/Caldecott Banquet in Chicago
Nerdy Book Club friends made it even more special.
4. The Comedy Museum AKA Art Institute of Chicago
5. NCTE/ALAN in Boston
6. Getting to see Van Gogh's Starry Night for the first time
7. 9/11 Memorial
8. Social media allowing for spontaneous meet ups with old friends
9. Big House Tour - AKA Michigan Stadium
10. Skating in Millennium Park
Last December my husband and I took an impromptu trip to Chicago with some friends to visit the German Christmas market. This year we decided to make it a tradition and go again. This time my friend Kirsten and I remembered to bring our ice skates and we were rewarded with a free jaunt around the Millennium Park ice rink. Heck, even the rink at Campus Martius in Detroit makes you pay to skate even if you bring your own. We were thrilled to discover that all we had to do in Chicago was strap on our skates and glide on by the endless line of people.
What were your favorite travel memories of 2013?