The Broke and the Bookish. Today's topic is:
Top Ten Books I Read Outside My Comfort Zone
Before I give my list, I should probably tell you what my comfort zone is. My preference is realistic and historical fiction as well as food and travel memoirs. I generally don't read fantasy or science fiction and I really despise romance novels.
1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling
Reading Everywhere strongly encouraged me to try listening to the audiobooks and after the first CD I was hooked. For someone who doesn't like fantasy, the major redeeming quality of these books is that, despite the fact that JK Rowling created a whole new world in these novels, the characters feel so real that they could be actual people. For someone who is huge into character-driven novels, that's what made me love and appreciate them despite my general penchant to stay away from the fantasy genre.
2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
3. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
4. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
5. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
6. Bad Taste in Boys by Carrie Harris
7. Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier
8. Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly
9. Across the Universe by Beth Revis
10. Silverwing by Kenneth Oppel